Recipe by Muffin Goddess
Tart cherries and a streusel topping in a yeast-based shell. Adapted from Culinaria Germany, with the addition of a powdered sugar glaze for drizzling. Cook time includes rising time for the dough. Untried by me, posted for ZWT.
- 354.88 ml flour
- 9.35 g of a cake yeast (half a cake, can be subbed with packet yeast per packet directions)
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 29.58 ml butter
- 78.07 ml milk
- flour, for kneading
- 453.59 g tart cherries, pitted (drained canned cherries could be used instead)
- 113.39 g butter, cut into small pieces (one stick)
- 118.29 ml flour
- 113.39 g sugar
- 354.88 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- 3.69 ml vanilla extract
- 29.58-44.37 ml water or 29.58-44.37 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10" springform tart pan.
- YEAST SHELL:.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, and make a well in the center. Crumble the yeast into the well, then sprinkle the sugar and salt over it.
- Put the milk in a small saucepan with the butter. Gently heat the milk and butter until the butter has melted. Pour this over the flour/yeast. Knead the mixture by hand until it forms a smooth dough.
- Cover dough and allow to rest in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until dough has doubled in volume.
- Place risen dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it again.
- Roll dough out and place it into the prepared tart pan, pressing the dough up the sides of the pan.
- Place the cherries in the prepared shell. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in the butter until mixture becomes crumbly. Sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over cherries.
- Bake tart in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for approximately 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 2 tbs of water or milk. Stir until smooth. If needed, add more water or milk, 1/2 tsp at a time, until desired consistency for drizzling is reached. Drizzle glaze over slightly cooled tart.