Recipe by Member #610488
The wine-like flavor of cherry in a spicy sauce. Traditionally served with Dampfnudeln or Steamed Sweet Dumplings. Could go over any bread like dessert or cooled down as a jam. Recipe dates from the mid 1960's and comes from my grandmother's recipe box.
- 1 (16 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer in a covered saucepan the cherry filling, cloves and cinnamon for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, remove the cloves and sieve mixture over another saucepan. Force cherries through and set aside the cherry mixture.
- Mix together in a bowl the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Add 4 tsp cold water and the corn syrup. Mix until smooth.
- Add sugar mixture to hot cherry mixture. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes stiring gently.
- Remove from heat and mix in remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot.