Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this sauce in my little cook-ahead meals. I use this sacue as a pancake filling or tortilla filling, but is also very nice with rice pasta or potatoes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 40 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 560 ml milk
- 200 g herring fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, grated
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- In the butter fry the onion and bay leaf.
- Stir in the flour, then add milk and bring to the boil, stirring.
- reduce heat and simmer for 3 minute.
- Flake the kippers, removing any fins, and add to the sauce, with seasoning to taste, add the lemon rind.
- Transfer to a bowl or basin and cover with cling film, pressing onto the surface of the sauce to prevent a skiin forming.
- before serving reheat and add the chopped boiled eggs and parsley.