Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Perfect for Mardi Gras! It's definately sinful and really good! It's a new Easter tradition for me--mais oui:)
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened,divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups heavy cream, divided
- 5 tablespoons dark rum, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- colored crystal sugar (Purple, green, and gold)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease 2 8" round cake pans.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream 10 Tbsp.
- butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and 3/4 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the eggs one at a time.
- Add 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup (4 T) rum, and 1 tsp.
- vanilla; blend well.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium; gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the remaining butter, brown sugar, and rum over low heat until the butter is melted.
- With a skewer, poke holes in tops of cakes in pans; brush with 1/2 the rum mixture.
- Cool 5 minutes on racks; invert onto wire racks-bottom sides up.
- Poke holes in bottoms of cakes; brush with remaining rum syrup.
- Cool completely.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the remaining heavy cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until stiff.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread with 1 cup of the whipped cream.
- Top with the other cake layer.
- Transfer 1 cup of the whipped cream to a pastry bag fitted with a rose or star tip.
- Spread top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream.
- Pipe rosettes on top of the cake; sprinkle each with colored sugar.
I can't believe I'm the first to rate this amazing cake! I discovered rum cake about a year ago and spent ten dollars on a very small one at a fundraiser. It was worth it! I decided to try making it myself this year as potential xmas gifts. This recipe is one of only a few that I found that did not use a yellow cake mix. I actually halved the recipe since it was a test run and did not make the whipped cream topping. I also didn't use brown suger. I used a bacardi spiced rum and the result was amazing! I added vanilla and milk to the glaze since I wasn't making the topping. Delicious and easy- I didn't even use a mixer, just beat it by hand. Thanks so much!