Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Preparation time does not include cooking and peeling sweet potatoes, since you can also use canned sweet potatoes if you drain the liquid from them. Adapted from the Williamsburg Cookbook.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (not skim)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit) and grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Mash sweet potatoes and remove as many strings as possible.
- Save back 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and stir the rest of the brown sugar into sweet potatoes, along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into prepared dish and sprinkle the 2 tablespoons brown sugar on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Best if served hot.