Recipe by LILTEXQT
This version reminds me of the one served at Mama's Cafe in San Antonio, TX. YUM! You can add some heat by using Hot Picante Sauce and/or Hot Rotel. Now living in Iowa, this reminds me of home. Enjoy!
Top Review by Doing it Right
Very good recipe. I used my own canned salsa (Wonderful Salsa from this site). I used low fat sour cream and due to a personal preference, I used flour tortillas. I also added 2 cups of frozen corn (thawed). Thank you for sharing your recipe. This was made for Spring PAC 2008. I will also submit a picture in the next week.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup picante sauce (heat level according taste)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (or 2 cans drained Rotel)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken (can used canned chicken)
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces (6 inch)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced black olives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix soup, picante sauce, sour cream, chili powder, tomatoes (or Rotel), and chicken.
- In 2-quart shallow baking dish, spread 1/2 of the tortilla pieces to cover the bottom. Top with 1/2 the chicken mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with cheese and onions.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until hot.
- If desired, serve with additional picante sauce, sour cream, onions, black olives, shredded cheese.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze chicken mixture in Ziploc bags uncooked.
- TO SERVE: Defrost chicken mixture. Arrange corn tortillas and chicken mixture according to above directions and bake.