Recipe by Bobbie
This is my version of King Ranch Chicken Casserole -- close to those posted, but still a little different. If you're interested in serving King Ranch Chicken Casserole, I hope you'll try my recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can creamy chicken verde soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325. In medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter, Add onion and green and red bell pepper. Saute for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in chicken, soups, tomatoes and green chilies, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place half of the tortilla chips in bottom of baking pan. Layer half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese on top of the chips. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with cilantro to taste.
- Note: Sometimes the Creamy Chicken Verde soup is hard to find (Campbells). If you have trouble, you can substitute another can of Cream of Chicken soup (or even Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery, etc.).