Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The King Ranch was the largest ranch in the US for many generations. They were famous for their hospitality. Everyone who eats this casserole LOVES it! This recipe is so easy to make ahead and it freezes well. I'm not sure if it actually originated on the King Ranch or not.
- 6 corn tortillas
- cooked boneless chicken (or use canned in a hurry)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook and debone chicken.
- Save broth.
- Combine rest of ingredients except cheese.
- Dip tortillas in reserved broth and line casserole.
- Layer chicken, soup mixture and cheese.
- Repeat tortillas, chicken, soup and cheese.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees 45 minutes.
- Watch out it's hot!
This was great! I followed the recipe exactly and everyone loved it! Simple to make a very tasty. Thank you! Cathy :)
My husband and son really enjoyed this dish. I assembled it in the morning and just microwaved it. I liked the step of dipping the tortillas in the broth (used flour tortillas) and the garlic powder added a nice flavor with the chili powder (used taco seasoning). Thanks Venus2 for posting. I'll be making this again. Roxygirl