Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lady at church brought this to a covered dish luncheon and as always I asked for the recipe. This is one of my favorite Tex-Mex meals. I've seen similar recipes on Recipezaar but none that uses the celery in the chicken stock.
- 3 -4 lbs hen
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- chili powder
- garlic salt
- 10 frozen tortillas
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, undrained
- Boil chicken under tender in water seasoned with onion, celery, salt and pepper.
- Reserve all stock.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Combine soups and grated cheese.
- Just before putting casserole together.
- Chop onion and bell pepper.
- Start layering in a 9x13 casserole in this order: Tortillas that are dripping with stock, chicken, onion, bell pepper, sprinkling with chili powder and garlic salt to taste, soup mixture and cheese.
- Repeat the layers making sure your tortillas are dripping with the stock.
- Pour the can of Rotel tomatoes over the entire casserole.
- Juices should be half the depth of the casserole, if not you can add more stock.
- This is best put together a day ahead of time so the flavors can blend.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.