Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this from a magazine while I was staying at a great little B&B in Sonoita, Arizona. It's excellent comfort food on a cold winter day.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 carrots, quartered
- 1 lb boiling onions
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Brown meat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in beef broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, sliced onion, sugar & spices.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is nearly tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Stir in veggies. Bring to a boil, then simmer 30 minutes more.
- Combine flour and water in jar. Shake until smooth. Stir into stew.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Season to taste.
This hit the spot on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Nothing could be easier to throw together, and is a versatile beef stew recipe, lending itself well for additional vegetables or spices. I made as is, and it turned out great. Thanks, Chilicat, for another good recipe.
I made this the first time about a year ago and it didn't turn out.... but I'd also tried it in the crockpot and for whatever reason it didn't work for me. Yesterday I made this on the stove top as directed, and it was a fabulous cold weather beef stew that the whole family loved. The only change I made was to double the flour mix to ensure that it thickened up.
I'm sure there are people who would love this stew. But it was just to rich for us. I did add a can of tomato sauce, perhaps that was over kill. May try again your way.Sounds so good.Thanks Chilicat..Love your cat. I just made this stew agin,without the tomato sauce.And "yes" it is a very good stew.Did add some hot pepper flakes.I really do not like stew,But believe this is the one I will use from now on.Sorry Chilicat my mistake.Still love your cat. LOL