Recipe by Chilicat
I got this from a magazine while I was staying at a great little B&B in Sonoita, Arizona. It's excellent comfort food on a cold winter day.
Top Review by ladyfingers
This hit the spot on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Nothing could be easier to throw together, and is a versatile beef stew recipe, lending itself well for additional vegetables or spices. I made as is, and it turned out great. Thanks, Chilicat, for another good recipe.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 carrots, quartered
- 1 lb boiling onions
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in beef broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, sliced onion, sugar & spices.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is nearly tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Stir in veggies. Bring to a boil, then simmer 30 minutes more.
- Combine flour and water in jar. Shake until smooth. Stir into stew.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Season to taste.