Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A twist on the King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Truth be told, not quite as healthy as its counterpart, but my family agrees it tastes better.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 10 corn tortillas, torn in strips
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) jar picante sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 lb American cheese or 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- Brown meat, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Mix soups, milk, water, picante sauce and green chilies (Note:Some people like less than the whole can, it's ok to add less.) to make a soup mixture.
- Layer tortillas, meat, soup mixture and cheese twice in casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake @ 350 degrees for 20 to 45 minutes. (I do about 40) Take off foil for the last 5 minutes.
- Let cool, and eat :].
I would recomend leaving out the one cup of water. I used a small can of green chilis and medium picante sauce. It was plenty hot. I would also use shredded cheddar cheese. The velveeta left a velveety taste.