Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and quick recipe for my favorite home-made king cake. The great thing about king cakes is that they can be made so many different ways and with an almost never ending list of different ingredients, it's all up to personal taste. This is delicious, but be warned, it is extremely rich and is not for calorie counters. Unless it's one of your "splurge" days..:)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- cinnamon sugar
- colored crystal sugar
- Arrange crescent rolls in a circle on the surface of a round pan with the points of the dough to the outside. Press the dough in the bottom of the pan together, and cut a circle out in the middle of the pan to form a ring. (Note, dough should form about a 12 inch circle when finished.).
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Spread the mixture evenly over the dough - don't cover the circle in the middle. Thinly slice and peel apple, the place apple slices over the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Chop pecans and sprinkle over the apples.
- Pull points of dough over filling and tuck under dough in center of the ring.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- For glaze, mix about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of powdered sugar with a small amount of water to form a thick mixture. Pour the glaze over the cake and sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Make colored sugar by mixing 6-8 drops of green food coloring with 1/3 cup of granular sugar, 6-8 drops of yellow food coloring with 1/3 cup sugar, and 4-6 drops of red and 4-6 drops of blue food coloring to 1/3 cup of sugar for purple sugar. (Pre-colored cake decors can also be used if you want to save a little time).