1/2 Photos of King Cake
4 hrs 30 mins
From March 02 Calgary Sun news paper. Looked so good I had to try it. It smells wonderful and was super easy to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1Scald milk remove from heat and stir in butter. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 2In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in water and 1tbsp of sugar for ten minutes.
- 3Add cooled milk to yeast mixture along with remaining sugar, salt and nutmeg. Whisk in eggs.
- 4Add flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- 5Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 minutes.
- 6Place dough in a well oiled bowl, turn to coat dough. Set in a warm area to rise for two hours.
- 7Punch down dough and divide in half. Roll each half into a square 10 inches by 16 inches.
- 8Combine filling ingriedients and put half on each piece of dough. Roll up jelly roll style bring ends together to form 2 oval shaped rings.
- 9Place rings on cookie sheets covered by parchment paper.
- 10With scissors cut 1/3 of the way threw dough at one inch intervals.
- 11Place pans in warm area to rise again for 45 minutes.
- 12Pre-heat oven to 350, bake for 30 minutes rotating pans half way threw.
- 13Cool on cookie racks for ten minutes. Prepare frosting and drizzle over cakes. sprinkle green, yellow and purple sugar in stripes over the top.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for King Cake
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.9
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 142.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g