From March 02 Calgary Sun news paper. Looked so good I had to try it. It smells wonderful and was super easy to make.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm water (110)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- green sugar crystals
- purple sugar crystals
- yellow sugar
- Scald milk remove from heat and stir in butter. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in water and 1tbsp of sugar for ten minutes.
- Add cooled milk to yeast mixture along with remaining sugar, salt and nutmeg. Whisk in eggs.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl, turn to coat dough. Set in a warm area to rise for two hours.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. Roll each half into a square 10 inches by 16 inches.
- Combine filling ingriedients and put half on each piece of dough. Roll up jelly roll style bring ends together to form 2 oval shaped rings.
- Place rings on cookie sheets covered by parchment paper.
- With scissors cut 1/3 of the way threw dough at one inch intervals.
- Place pans in warm area to rise again for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350, bake for 30 minutes rotating pans half way threw.
- Cool on cookie racks for ten minutes. Prepare frosting and drizzle over cakes. sprinkle green, yellow and purple sugar in stripes over the top.