cook from scratch's Note:
This soft, moist bread is perfect for toast or sandwiches. AND it's packed with healthy fiber! --from the Baker's Catalogue, Spring 08.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 ounces lukewarm water (reduce this bread by 2 T if you are making in the summer, when there is more humidity in the air)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 1/2 cups king arthur white whole wheat flour (can sub 1 c King Arthur High-maize Natural Fiber) or 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (can sub 1 c King Arthur High-maize Natural Fiber)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1Combine all ingredients and mix and knead, by hand, mixer or bread machine until you've made a smooth, fairly stiff (but not dry) dough. Place in a lightly greased bowl, covered and allow to rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until its expanded a bit. It won't have doubled in size, but should feel puffy when you squeeze it.
- 2Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Gently shape the dough into a smooth log, there's no need to punch it down, just stretch and round it to fit in the pan. Place it in the pan, smooth side up, cover the pan and allow it to rise for about 30-45 minutes, till it crowns over the rim by an inch or so. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 3Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, until the center registers 190F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove it from the oven, and turn out of the pan onto a rack. Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for King Arthur's Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Serving Size: 1 (923 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2065.9
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 123.1 mg
- Sodium 3921.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 357.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 52.9 g
- Sugars 51.5 g
- Protein 77.6 g