Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from King Arthur Flour. This makes a great bread! This is the recipe from their website, I actually did not have the bread improver it calls for, but if you add a 1/4 vital wheat gluten I think it does the same thing, because it came out great when I made it (if you add the wheat gluten, then subtract 1/4 cup whole wheat flour) I also used their grain mix instead of the sunflower seeds and walnuts, but I'm sure whatever you like will taste great. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons honey (or molasses, or maple syrup)
- 3 1⁄2 cups king arthur organic whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon king arthur whole-grain bread improver (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Combine all of the ingredients, and mix them till you have a shaggy dough.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for 20 minutes, then knead till fairly smooth.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, or until it's puffy and nearly doubled in bulk.
- Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch bread pan.
- Cover the pan with a proof cover or lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow it to rise for about 1 hour, till it's crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil for the final 20 minutes of baking.
I love this, though I think it could be a bit sweeter. Next time I will try a KAF suggestion and replace 1/3 cup of water with an equal amount of orange juice. I didn't have bread improver or vital wheat gluten and it still came out very well. Mine was done in just under 40 minutes.