2 hrs 45 mins
A very different cookie for your holiday sweets tray. I have not tried this myself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs all-purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups potatoes, peeled and boiled (still warm)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- lemon, rind of
- 2 -3 tablespoons white wine
- 1Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- 2Put the whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk into the centre and blend with your fingers.
- 3Add the softened butter and knead together.
- 4Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and then add to the potatoes; the warm potatoes will help to activate the yeast.
- 5Puree the potatoes and add to the flour mixture.
- 6Add the sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon rind and enough wine to bind the ingredients together.
- 7Knead well until a firm smooth dough is achieved; you can divide the dough and work it in the food processor if you wish.
- 8Divide into 6 round balls and let stand, covered, while you make the filling, about 45 minutes.
- 9To make filling, combine all Nut Filling ingredients and mix well; refrigerate until needed.
- 10Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- 11Punch the dough down and divide each ball of dough again into 6 or 7 small balls.
- 12Roll the dough out and cut circles 3 inches in diameter; put 1-1/2 tbsp filling in a line down the centre, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- 13Fold the top and bottom of the circle over to cover the ends of the filling; then take the left side and fold over 2/3 of the dough to cover the line of filling.
- 14Fold the right side over to the left edge.
- 15Press the sides together at the centre and edges, as if you were tucking in a baby in a blanket.
- 16Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets; brush with remaining egg yolks.
- 17Bake 30-45 minutes, until golden brown; halfway through cooking, brush with more egg yolk.
- 18Makes approximately 36 cookies.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kindli Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (3125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 18.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 4.9 g