Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
A very different cookie for your holiday sweets tray. I have not tried this myself.
Make and share this Kindli Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs all-purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 3⁄4 cups potatoes, peeled and boiled (still warm)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- lemon, rind of
- 2 -3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 cups walnuts, ground
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- lemon, juice and rind of
- orange, juice and rind of
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 4 figs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup orange marmalade or 1 cup apricot jam
- 2 large egg whites
- Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Put the whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk into the centre and blend with your fingers.
- Add the softened butter and knead together.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and then add to the potatoes; the warm potatoes will help to activate the yeast.
- Puree the potatoes and add to the flour mixture.
- Add the sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon rind and enough wine to bind the ingredients together.
- Knead well until a firm smooth dough is achieved; you can divide the dough and work it in the food processor if you wish.
- Divide into 6 round balls and let stand, covered, while you make the filling, about 45 minutes.
- To make filling, combine all Nut Filling ingredients and mix well; refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Punch the dough down and divide each ball of dough again into 6 or 7 small balls.
- Roll the dough out and cut circles 3 inches in diameter; put 1-1/2 tbsp filling in a line down the centre, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Fold the top and bottom of the circle over to cover the ends of the filling; then take the left side and fold over 2/3 of the dough to cover the line of filling.
- Fold the right side over to the left edge.
- Press the sides together at the centre and edges, as if you were tucking in a baby in a blanket.
- Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets; brush with remaining egg yolks.
- Bake 30-45 minutes, until golden brown; halfway through cooking, brush with more egg yolk.
- Makes approximately 36 cookies.
Made these cookies, with a variety of others, for my staff. These were the most liked and talked about.