Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I was checking out Weight Watchers Shepherd's Pie and made some changes according to my family's tastes and what I had on hand. This is the finished product which turned out beautifully and has my family looking forward to the next time we have it! I used the paprika on mine, but I'm sure that the cheddar on top would be divine for those not watching calories as closely.
- 475 g yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (es)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 60 g frozen peas
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 2 ounces sugar snap peas, cut in 1/2
- 1 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄4 cups fat free chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Boil water in a large saucepan. Add the potatoes and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender enough to mash. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Add the sour cream and margarine, mashing into the potatoes until the potatoes are smooth. Add seasoning if you'd like.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain and rinse if you'd like. Put back in skillet and add onion, peas, sugar snap peas and celery; cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add flour, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer; simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate. Spread mashed potatoes over top and using the back of a spoon. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden.
- Optional: if you're not on a strict diet, add some shredded cheddar on top of the beef mixture before the potatoes. Or, to save calories and fat, but still have a tasty and pretty dish, sprinkle some ground paprika on top of the potatoes.