Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
I found this recipe on Epinions.com in a review of California Pizza Kitchen from chic_seeker. The reviewer included a close copycat recipe to the restaurant's delicious Chinese chicken salad. I included this with other salads in a recent lunch for a crowd and this was the first thing gone. (Prep time cited does not include cooking chicken)
Top Review by newlywedcookingadventures
I tried this recipe tonight because I was hoping to re-create CPK's Asian slaw that I so love! I halved the recipe which was perfect for 2 people. I added fried wontons like you add to salad and some bean sprouts. The dressing was spot on. Great recipe!<br/><br/>http://www.mynewlywedcookingadventures.com/2013/05/knock-off-california-pizza-kitchen.html
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon asian chili paste (I used sambal oelek with good results)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated ginger (about a teaspoon of powdered works well)
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 -3 large cooked chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, chopped into chunks
- sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 head napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 carrots (peeled and shredded or julienned)
- 3⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped (sliced or slivered almonds might be nice also)
- 1 bunch about 8 scallion (white and light green parts chopped crosswise)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients, whisk and set aside.
- In a really large salad bowl, combine cabbage, lettuce, cilantro and green onions and toss gently.
- Sprinkle in the sesame seeds and peanuts.
- Add the chicken.
- Pour in the dressing and toss.