Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This a large pot, so you can scale down or freeze the rest. My family doesn't even like red chili any more. I am always requested to make this. Hope you all enjoy this as much as we do.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 baby carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 (48 ounce) jars great northern beans
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or more)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder (or more)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 49 ounces chicken broth
- sour cream
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- cheddar cheese
- home made tortilla chips
- onion, finely diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (8 ounce) can cooking spray
- Simmer chicken in 32 ounces of chicken broth, till no longer pink, on medium heat; about 7 to 10 minutes. Take chicken out and set aside to cool.
- Strain the broth in a large stock pot. To this add the 49 ounces of broth. Add the following ingredients:
- Garlic, carrots, celery, jalapeños, onion, salt and pepper, cumin, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, and beans.
- Let simmer on low heat for 5 to 6 hours. Could also use a crock pot if you like.
- Shred the chicken with a fork, and add to the pot 10 to 15 minutes before ready to serve.
- Tortilla strips: can also use your favorite brand tortilla strips.
- 12 corn tortillas, 1 can cooking spray, salt
- Slice the tortillas in half, and then cut them into strips. Spray them with cooking spray, and bake at 375°F until crispy. Promptly remove from oven and add salt to season. Can also season with chili powder for extra flavor.
- Note: I like more flavor, so after a few hours i taste the chili and usually add more cumin and chili powder.
- Serve up into bowls, and have the cheese, sour cream, onions and tortilla strips or chips on the side to let everyone add their own amounts to their liking.