Recipe by Malriah
This Thanksgiving my boyfriend's step mom's daughter-in-law, Kim, brought this sweet potato casserole for our feast. Not being a huge fan of sweet potatoes, I was reluctant to try it. Boy am I glad I did! It isn't as sweet as most sweet potato casseroles and doesn't have tons the marshmallow goop on it. I begged her for the recipe so that I could have it every holiday and decided to post it on *Zaar so that I don't lose it. She stated on the recipe card that she always doubles the recipe and that when it does, it fills a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
Top Review by Camden's Mom
I made this for Thanksgiving yesterday based on the high rating without doing a trial run first. It was a great choice! I made it almost exactly following the directions (I had 4 cups of mashed yams instead of 3 cups of sweet potatoes). It still came out perfectly and my step-father wouldn't let my mom leave without the recipe. I wouldn't change a thing. A couple people thought it was too sweet - I didn't find that at all, but I did use more potatoes than the recipe called for, so I suppose that could be the difference. I also had to cook it quite a bit longer than the recipe called for. I think the next time I make it I will cook it covered for about 1/2 the time and see if it cooks a bit faster that way. Thanks for the great recipe! 11/24/16 - Update: Dug this recipe out for Thanksgiving again this year. Made it with 1/2 white and 1/2 orange sweet potatoes (no yams this time) and it was perfect! Rave reviews only. Didn't hear anyone say it was too sweet. I also subbed rolled oats for the flour in the topping because my sister is eating gluten-free. I think that made this dish even better!
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup cream (or milk)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all of the casserole ingredients together until well blended.
- Spread into a buttered casserole dish.
- Mix topping ingredients (except marshmallows) together and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- If topping with marshmallows, place them on the casserole and bake for an addition 5-7 minutes or until marshmallows have melted.