Recipe by justcallmetoni
Traditional Korean kimchi requires long preparation many steps. This recipe brings all the great flavors of the classic to a dish which is quick and easy to prepare. A word of caution, while kimchi improves over time, this version does not so don not let it rest for longer than stated.
- 1 medium napa cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch squares (about 8 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cabbage, garlic and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, ginger, salt, sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage, scallions and carrot to the bowl and toss to combine. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes before serving.