Recipe by JFluckie
We eat sooo much rice in our home so I love when I find a different way of making it. We love Kimchi so I was excited to find this recipe. And this is the ONLY time I like my egg sunny side up too! I usually hate it but with this..it just completes the taste! :) *Time does not include pre made rice. Cook time is approx.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions (2 cut into 1 inch lengths and 1 more thinly sliced)
- 3 cups cooked and refrigerated rice (day old is best)
- 3⁄4 cup cabbage kimchi, drained and chopped (squeeze out most of the moisture)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetables or 3⁄4 cup tofu, cut into very small pieces
- chili paste, if your kimchi isn't spicy enough (kochujang paste would be ideal. I use Siracha sauce!)
- 1 egg, fried, per person (sunny side up, runny yolks)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.Pre-heat your largest cast-iron skillet or wok over maximum heat. Add the oil, and immediately follow that with the garlic and green onions. Stir-fry for 20 seconds.
- 2.If using optional raw vegetables or tofu, add and stir-fry until cooked through (vegetables) or lightly browned (tofu).
- 3.Add the rice and toss to coat with the oil. Continue to fry over high heat, tossing only occasionally and mostly letting the rice stay in contact with the pan so that it has time to brown. Keep this up as long as you can stand it, because the more brown crispy bits you develop, the more delicious it will be. You want to break the rice up somewhat but also leave some smallish clumps.
- 4.Add the kimchi, sesame oil, salt and optional chili paste and stir-fry for one more minute. (If using previously cooked vegetables, add them now too).
- 5.Serve immediately, topped with the remaining green onion and the fried egg if you are using it.