Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This Kimchi recipe came from Cooking Light Magazine. It is the closest I have come to authentic Korean Kimchi my neighbor used to make for me. 0 points and core for Weight Watchers.
- Place cabbage and salt in a large bowl, tossing gently to combine.
- Weigh down cabbage with another bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature 3 hours, tossing occasionally.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Drain and squeeze.
- Combine cabbage, water and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Okay, so this is the second of two cabbage dishes I made after reading an article about cabbage being good for you and for the planet at Sociecity: http://sociecity.com/rethink/mighty-cheeseburger-meets-lowly-cabbage
I NEVER liked kimchi much, but this one is a bit easier for a guy like me to handle. Thank you for posting Budgiegirl!
I love this interpretation of Kimchi! It's light and refreshing. I find the cups to weight ratio to be off for the cabbage amount. For me 16 cups was about 5 pounds (or my grocery receipt is wrong!). I suggest adding carrots or daikon radish to squeeze in some more veggies- I'm going to try raddichio or red cabbage too next time.
This was really easy to make and the flavours are developing nicely with each day. I'd chop the green onion more finely next time though, just personal preference, because wow I've had epic onion breath after eating this, lol not that I'm complaining though ;) Thanks!