Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Adopted! No comments by original poster. QDM: Not to everyone's taste, but it you like this, it's a lot better if you make it yourself.
- 4 napa cabbage, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 2 3⁄4 cups kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup hot chili paste
- 6 tablespoons dried shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 32 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 cups fresh ginger, sliced
- 8 carrots
- 4 daikon radishes, juilienned
- 4 red bell peppers, cut in half and julienned
- 12 korean green peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut thin
- 4 bunches scallions, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 16 limes, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt and Napa cabbage for two days in the fridge.
- It will be seriously wilted.
- Rinse it well and squeeze out the excess water.
- Set aside until later.
- When the cabbage has finished curing in the salt, prepare the"pickling solution".
- In a saucepan, put the water, salt, sugar, ginger and garlic, and bring this to a quick boil.
- In the food processor, make a puree of the chili paste, dried shrimp and fish sauce, and add this to the solution.
- Turn down the heat and allow this to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of the vegetables, mix them evenly with the wilted cabbage, and pack them into a large plastic bucket or one gallon glass jar.
- Add the lime juice and then pour the hot solution over the vegetables.
- Allow to cool before covering.
- The kim chee will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- Although this recipe makes a big batch, you can cut it down by as much as you like.