Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My husband once proclaimed this the "best ever" spaghetti sauce. It's delicious even without the sausage added. Works just as well if you make it a day ahead. Kimberly Filip-Campbell is the recipe's originator, and it is published in a cookbook called, "The Best of Company at 8".
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 cup chunked onion
- 1 medium green pepper, chunked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley or 1⁄8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 (6 ounce) cans water
- 1⁄2-1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- Brown sausage, spices, onion, garlic, green pepper, and carrot in olive oil until meat is fully cooked, or if cooking without meat, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, paste, water, mushrooms, and black olives.
- Simmer one hour.
- Serve with your favorite pasta!