Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe could be used for anything you would use a beer batter for....I made it up for onion petals, and it was an instant success! You could substitute any dark beer for the Killian's, but why would you want to?
- 1 large red onion
- 1⁄4 cup killians red beer
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- sunflower oil (for frying)
- Cut off ends of onion and cut into quarters.
- Julienne the quartered onions and separate into"petals".
- Put remaining ingredients in blender and process until smooth, scraping down sides a couple of times.
- Put beer batter into a bowl, add the onion petals and stir to coat.
- Remove batter coated petals to a cookie sheet and put in fridge to rest for about 1/2 hour.
- Deep fry petals in fairly hot sunflower oil (about 375º) until golden, about 2 minutes per batch.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Okay, you know I had to try this since I loved your Blooming Onion recipe! I've tried other "beer batters" before and didn't really care for them, but this one is very good!! I used the batter to deep fry shrimp and onion petals...delicious!! Thanks CG!!