Recipe by canarygirl
This recipe could be used for anything you would use a beer batter for....I made it up for onion petals, and it was an instant success! You could substitute any dark beer for the Killian's, but why would you want to?
Top Review by Susie in Texas
Okay, you know I had to try this since I loved your Blooming Onion recipe! I've tried other "beer batters" before and didn't really care for them, but this one is very good!! I used the batter to deep fry shrimp and onion petals...delicious!! Thanks CG!!
- 1 large red onion
- 1⁄4 cup killians red beer
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- sunflower oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off ends of onion and cut into quarters.
- Julienne the quartered onions and separate into"petals".
- Put remaining ingredients in blender and process until smooth, scraping down sides a couple of times.
- Put beer batter into a bowl, add the onion petals and stir to coat.
- Remove batter coated petals to a cookie sheet and put in fridge to rest for about 1/2 hour.
- Deep fry petals in fairly hot sunflower oil (about 375º) until golden, about 2 minutes per batch.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.