Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can make this cake in a Bundt pan. If you don't have any maple syrup use pancake syrup instead, but don't use the low sugar syrup, also if you don't have a sweet tooth, reduce the 1 cup of brown sugar to 3/4 cup or even 1/2 cup... I most always make two of these cakes, one just goes too fast!
Top Review by sallyd,
i made this for a supper with friends and everyone LOVED it---i will be making another one tomorrow to take to another get-together...i expect that none of that will come home with us either!!!!! kittencal ALWAYS has the best recipes!!!!! thanks, k
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no subs)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (toasted preferably)
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄2 cup full-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan (make certain to spray the bottom of the pan generously with non-stick cooking spray).
- For the topping: in a heavy-bottom saucepan combine sugar and butter; stir over low heat until butter melts and the mixture is well blended.
- Pour into cake pan, and spread to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the butter/sugar mixture, then sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Place the long banana slices in concentric circles on top of the nuts, overlapping slightly but covering the bottom.
- For the cake: stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat in sugar and butter in another bowl until creamy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in egg and vanilla; beat until smooth, light and fluffy.
- beat in flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Spoon the batter over the bananas in the pan.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes, or until cakes tests done.
- Transfer cake to a rack and run a knife around the sides of the pan.
- Cool cake for 30 minutes.
- Place a plate over pan and invert onto plate.
- Let stand 3 minutes upside-down with plate on top, then gently lift off pan.
- Serve with whipped cream.