Recipe by islestyle
The secret of a good taco is in the way you cook the tortilla. Have all of the other ingredients prepared and on the table, and do the tortillas just before your family sits down to dinner.
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 white onion
- 4 green onions
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 6 tomatoes
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin and dice tomatos, put in bowl on table.
- Shred lettuce and add chopped green onion with part of stems, mix well and put in bowl on table.
- Put Parmesan cheese in bowl on table.
- Cook meat and diced onion until done, leave on simmer.
- When the tortillas are almost done, heat salsa on low or simmer * Pace picante sauce is my favorite.
- Now to the tortillas! Pre-heat the tortillas so they don't break, either one at a time on the stove or all at once in the microwave, wrapped in a towel.
- Add enough cooking oil to a large pan to come up one inch from the pan bottom. If you use a large pan, you can cook two at a time. The oil must be smoking hot. Take a tortilla and fold it in half. Holding it with tongs, lay it in the pan for just a second until the outside blisters and puffs a bit, quickly turn and repeat. As you cook the tortillas, lay them on a plate with a doubled paper towel. Cover with an additional towel if you wish to keep really warm. As you cook the tortillas, add oil as needed.
- The tortillas will be soft inside, with a great but not hard "crunch" on the outside.
- Serve with guacamole and sour cream if desired.