Recipe by jillcomeau
I've tried many potato soup recipes and most all of them have been pretty good. This one, however, it absolutely the best. It is truly a treat. All you need to go with it are some crusty rolls and a green salad and you have an excellent meal.
Top Review by Lainey6605
This is an excellent potato soup! It is rich, thick and creamy and full of delicious flavor. I really enjoyed the bacon and sharp cheddar cheese in this soup. I will make this one again. It is now one of my favorite soups. I served "Recipe#345899" with this. Made for the Photo Forum's Belly Warmers: Soup and Stews January 2009 Event.
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I usually use red or yukon gold)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bacon in a large soup pot or dutch oven and cook until crisp. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of grease.
- Add celery, onion and garlic to bacon grease and cook until just softened. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add potatoes and toss in grease to coat.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour. Brown mixture, stirring constantly, for approximately 2 minutes. Add heavy cream slowly, while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue whisking until mixture thickens.
- Stir cream mixture into the potato mixture. Gently stir in cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onion and addtional cheese, if desired.