1/4 Photos of Killer Potato Soup
I've tried many potato soup recipes and most all of them have been pretty good. This one, however, it absolutely the best. It is truly a treat. All you need to go with it are some crusty rolls and a green salad and you have an excellent meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I usually use red or yukon gold)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1Place bacon in a large soup pot or dutch oven and cook until crisp. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of grease.
- 2Add celery, onion and garlic to bacon grease and cook until just softened. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add potatoes and toss in grease to coat.
- 3Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour. Brown mixture, stirring constantly, for approximately 2 minutes. Add heavy cream slowly, while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue whisking until mixture thickens.
- 5Stir cream mixture into the potato mixture. Gently stir in cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Garnish with green onion and addtional cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Killer Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 908.8
- Calories from Fat 613
- Total Fat 68.2 g
- Saturated Fat 32.4 g
- Cholesterol 160.5 mg
- Sodium 1452.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 27.6 g