Recipe by Nandito
These muffins are seriously incredible and addictive. It took me a few tries until I found a perfect muffin-like crusty dough for these awesome pizzas. The dough turned out so fluffy and fun to work with. Pretty quick and easy, the only part that takes time is the rising process, which is about 30 minutes. All in all, you and your kids will love them, trust me!
Top Review by Julie F
These were very good. I made the dough in my bread machine, using 1 1/2 t of yeast (the 8 oz of yeast is obviously a misprint here). The dough was very sticky - might be because of the bread machine???? But I just plopped equal amounts of dough into each muffin cup. I used my pampered chef tool for shaping foods inside muffin cups, but the dough just kept oozing back. No problem. After baking them, I used the tool again, and this time it held fine. I added some black olives to the muffins and plan to send them in my girls' lunches. I think they would freeze well, and if I stuck them in frozen, they should be thawed by lunchtime. The recipe didn't specify, but I baked them at 350.
For the Dough
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
For the Topping
- 1 cup pizza sauce (I prefer Onion and Garlic flavored.)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cup of warm water with the sugar and dry yeast. Let stand 10 to 14 minutes.
- Add the butter, salt and flour. Stir well, turn out and knead until dough is smooth. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place. Punch down and allow to rise again.
- Cut dough into small-meduim sized balls, place each ball on oiled muffin tins, punch the ball with your thumb and spread the edges of the ball around the muffin tins to make a hollow muffin cup shape. Let rise again, press the edges to make sure they stick to their muffin cup figure.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until slightly golden. Bring out of the oven.
- Press top of puffed muffins with the back of a spoon to create a slight dent. Spread the sauce and cheese or any other topping you have in mind. Bake until cheese is melted. Tada!