Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
Two favorite flavors in one yummy muffin! Use real butter and quality dark chocolate - Callebaut, Trader Joe's Bittersweet or Dark, Valrhona, you get the idea! I've found Starbucks Via instant coffee a great stand in for instant espresso. Team recipe for Mike and the Appliance Killers ZWT 9 Coffee Plantation Challenge
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or Kahlua
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunk, dark (or semisweet)
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso (or Starbucks Via)
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 3⁄4 cup roasted macadamia nuts or 3⁄4 cup toasted almond, chopped medium
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt together the butter and chopped dark chocolate. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring frequently until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Dissolve espresso or coffee in hot water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add eggs, buttermilk, dissolved coffee, and vanilla extract or Kahlua .
- Stir till partially mixed, then stir in melted chocolate mixture until the batter is almost smooth then stir in the chocolate chunks and nuts if using, mixing just until everything is incorporated.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for about 16-20 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins before serving at room temperature or slightly warm.
While I was waiting for these to bake I was thinking about what to frost them with, but there is no need! Wow, these little cupcakes have a LOT of flavor and such a wonderful texture. Just delicious. I think I'll make some mini loaves/bundts to put in my holiday baskets this year. Great recipe! ZWT9
Mmmmmmm, chocolate muffins. As I found myself awake late night and not likely to go back to sleep anytime real soon I baked. This recipe makes beautiful rich chocolate muffins that could easily double as cupcakes. I subbed Splenda for the sugar but aside from that I made as directed. They have a great texture and if you have one still warm the melty chocolate is just plain heaven. Thanks momaphet for a keeper recipe.
These muffins are amazing! Anyone who enjoys chocolate needs to make these muffins. I used unsalted butter, vanilla extract and the toasted almonds. Didnt have expresso on hand but did have a dark roast that worked great. Definitely a keeper! Made and reviewed for the 2014 Culinary Quest - Cruisin' Culinary Queens.