Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
this is my portuguese boyfriend's mother's recipe & if he knew i posted it here he'd kill me! (hence the name!) but dont worry, i decided that this family secret is worth dying for! so easy with fantastic flavor proves you don't always need a bunch of diffferent spices if you're using good ingredients!! i order my linguica from back east because the stuff found here "isnt the same" according to my bf. here's the site i order from http://melloschourico.com/.
- 3⁄4-1 lb green beans
- 1⁄2 white onion, quartered
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced
- 4 cups water, to cover
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 (6 ounce) canel pato salsa fresca (if el pato isnt available) or 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce (if el pato isnt available)
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- snap off ends of green beans & break larger beans in half, throw in a big pot.
- quarter half an onion & throw it in with the green beans.
- slice linquica into 1 inch slices & throw in the pot.
- add garlic, bay leaves & sea salt.
- add only as much water as necessary to completely cover ingredients.
- bring to a low boil, cover & let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- peel potatoes & cut into quarters.
- add diced tomatoes (undrained), el pato sauce (or regular tomato sauce if el pato isnt available) & tomato paste.
- return to a low boil & add potatoes.
- let boil 30 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- taste & adjust seasonings if necessary.