Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney. If desired you can brush the scones with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before baking.
- 3 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup firm butter, cut in small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup cranberries, chopped if desired
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with a fork.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in cranberries, walnuts, and orange peel.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the buttermilk.
- Stir the mixture with a fork until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- With your hands, gather the dough into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured board.
- Roll or pat the into a 1/2 inch thick square. Cut into 2 1/2 inch circles (use a cookie cutter or an empty can) and place 1 1/2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.