Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1 large idaho potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 (6 ounce) containers fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs (made from Italian bread)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook potatoes in boiling water for 6-7 minutes, until tender; drain, then scatter potatoes across a large, flat surface to cool and dry for 5 minutes; then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Make a paste with the garlic and salt; add it to the potatoes along with the parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes.
- Add crab and Old Bay seasoning to potatoes; combine the mixture gently.
- Form 4 super-size 4-5 inch killer crab cakes.
- Place the bread crumbs on a plate; coat the crab cakes on both sides with crumbs to set them.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium to med-high heat; add the cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until deeply golden; serve immediately.