Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of the better chocolate muffin recipes I have come across...These bake out high and tender and with a nice "crackly" high-top, they have an intense chocolate flavor... drizzle with melted white chocolate over them.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sifted baking cocoa (measure before sifting)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Place the muffin tins on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese, until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the both sugars (if you prefer a less sweet muffin, only add in 2/3 cups white sugar); beat until combined.
- Add in eggs and vanilla; blend well.
- Fold in sour cream.
- In a bowl, blend together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold, do not beat into the batter (you may just mix in on low speed of mixer or by hand), making certain NOT to overmix (this is important!).
- Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop, scoop the muffins into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched, or a toothick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
These were good. I used chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly, and I added the half-and-half in just before the sour cream...that wasn't specified in the directions. I liked the consistency and flavor of these, but I just wish the chocolate flavor was a little stronger. Also, I agree with the previous reviewer that I would have liked for these to have been a bit more moist. Still good though! One person described them as having the perfect balance, saying they weren't too sweet or too heavy. And I should add that I got 18 medium-sized muffins that baked perfectly in 20 minutes.
Good Muffins. The kids loved them. Not as moist as I had hoped they would be but worth making.