Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very rich cake with the consistency of a brownie, in a cake. It has the old fashioned homemade chocolate icing. It is loaded with pecans and chocolate chips. One of the best chocolate cakes around.
- 6 ounces butter
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Cake: This cake is the best mixed by hand. Preheat oven to 350*f. Grease 2 9" x 1 1/2" cakepans + line bottoms with wax paper. Melt butter + chocolate (not chips) together. Cool to luke warm. In a bowl whisk together for 1 minute eggs, sugar, salt + vanilla and butter flavoring. Whisk in butter-chocolate mixture. Stir in the flour + chocolate chips. Pour batter into pans + bake for 30-35 minute (Do not over bake. Cake tester should not come out clean) Cool on racks + remove from pans as soon as cooled.
- Frosting: Combine sugar, coffee + cream in a small but deep, heavy sauce pan. Stirring, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. + simmer 6 min w/o stirring. Remove from heat. Add the chopped chocolate + stir until it is melted + blended. Add butter + vanilla. Whisk well. Chill until thickened. Frost + reserve 1/2 c frosting. Put remaining frosting in pastry bag fitted with small start tip. Pipe rosettes on top of cake. Refrigerate. Bring to room temp before serving.
A very rich and delicious cake - I used 65% couveture chocolate, unsalted butter and left out the butter flavouring (hard to get in my corner of the world) Served it all by itself and it was eaten in a quick minute! Made for PAC Spring 2009
Fabulous! You've done it again! Another incredibly simple, divinely delicious delectation! You've got me baking again - I love it. This is THE chocolate cake. I used 80% chocolate & served it with Creme Fraiche w/t castor sugar & a good dash of Kahlua. People cried - it was so good. I love & trust your recipes- can't wait to try more TRCB. Thank you!