Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
My recipe for cheese balls.
- 2 (8 ounce) bricks Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chunky bleu cheese salad dressing
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin's brand only)
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 clove mashed fresh garlic (or more for garlic lovers)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon crumbled crisp cooked bacon
OPTIONAL FRESH HERB (CHOOSE ONE)
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or dried) or 2 tablespoons parsley (or dried)
OPTIONAL HOLIDAY GARNISH
- 2 -3 maraschino cherries, halves (per each ball for mock holly berries)
- 2 -3 snipped large bay leaves (per each ball, cut into holly leaf shape)
- WHIP all of the BASIC RECIPE ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. NOTE: You may also add the OPTIONAL and/or OPTIONAL FRESH HERB ingredients now: 1 tablespoon crumbled crisp cooked bacon (cook bacon wrapped in 2 sheets paper towels on a microwaveable plate for 6-10 minutes on 100% power and crumble when cooled), 2 tablespoons thinly snipped fresh chives (or) 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh dill (or) 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage (or) 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or) 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary).
- DIVIDE cheese mixture in half; DUMP each cheese portion individually onto a sheet waxed paper; WRAP cheese balls completely using the waxed paper, twisting the tops to seal.
- FORM cheese mixture in waxed paper into ball shapes.
- PLACE into freezer until firm yet not frozen.
- ADD 2/3-3/4 cup chopped walnuts and 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or parsley (or dried) into a medium bowl; COMBINE well.
- REMOVE cheese balls from freezer when firm and unwrap.
- SMOOTH cheese balls with clean dry hands until round and even.
- ROLL cheese balls lightly in nut and herb mixture until evenly covered (you may freeze cheese balls in freezer bags and thaw before serving).
- GARNISH cheese balls if desired for the holidays with a holly garnish (see photo) or prepare OPTIONAL HOLIDAY GARNISH: PLACE 2-3 maraschino cherry halves (each) closely on top of cheeseball; CUT 2-3 large bay leaves (each) into holly leave shapes and attach around cherries (you may tint bay leaf tops first with green food coloring using a small paintbrush, for a more dramatic color presentation).
- SERVE when tempered on or with crackers (I prefer the Triscuit Rosemary & Olive Oil variety); ENJOY!