Recipe by Nisa
This is an absolutely FAB carrot cake,My late Uncle Rick gave my mom the recipe and I've been making it since I was 12 years old (now i'm 20 so go figure). I made it just ONCE at my aunties house and she's had to bake it every week for 4 months now because my uncle keeps requesting it! I always used to be asked to bring it for bake sales too :)
Top Review by litldarlin
This is one of the best Carrot Cakes I have tasted in a long time. It was a very big hit at work and at Church. I had never made a Carrot Cake before this one and was surprised at how well I did. I love the taste and the ease at making this recipe. This is definitely a keeper for me to make again and again not only for work but for our Church events. Thanks for posting Nisa. Made for Spring PAC 2009 Melody/Lansing, ILLinois
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon (depends if you like strong flavor or not)
- 1 -2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 -2 teaspoon mace
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (sometimes I leave this out)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (you can put almond if you like)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins, tossed in (optional)
- flour (so they dont sink to the bottom of the pan) (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup icing sugar (I cut down on the sugar because I like it slightly sour)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Grease and flour 10" baking pan.
- Pour oil and carrots into a mixing bowl and mix till combined.
- Add in eggs one by one whilst beating on medium speed.
- Add in sugar and beat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is frothy and light in color.
- Make sure to beat until sugar is dissolved! if not the sugar will form a crust on top of the cake whilst baking.
- Add in the spices and vanilla / almond essence.
- Lastly add in the flour which has been sifted along with the baking powder and soda.
- When adding in the flour just mix it in with a wooden spoon and swirl in a figure eight until flour is just combined. This is to make sure you dont let out excess air.
- Add in nuts.
- Pour batter into pan and bake until cake begins to shrink off sides and toothpick inserted comes out clean, approximately 45 minutes.
- When cake is cool put on icing.
- For Icing beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in icing sugar and vanilla and beat till smooth.