Recipe by cookncraft
A great dessert found in a church cookbook. My mom and I both make these wonderful caramel brownie bars almost every year to go with our batches of Christmas cookies. We also make them for birthdays and as a dish to pass at parties.
- 14 ounces caramels
- 18 1⁄4 ounces German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt caramels slowly with 1/3 cup evaporated milk.
- Combine cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, butter, and nuts. Stir briefly.
- Press 1/2 dough into 9 x 13 x 2 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 6 minutes. Remove from oven. (Tip: leave oven set at 350 for later use in this recipe.).
- Sprinkle with chips and spread caramel mixture over top. Crumble remaining dough over top.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set caramel. Cut into bars.