Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is adapted from a Sephardic Jewish recipe I found in Copeland Marks's "Sephardic Cooking." It is found in the Jewish communities in modern Uzbekistan. You may want to experiment with garlic, leeks, and the like in place of or in addition to the onion, or with ground chicken or ground veal.
- Combine all ingredients except the flour and oil.
- Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for about two hours.
- Take small handfuls of the meatball mixture and roll into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Dust the meatballs with flour.
- Brown on all sides in a skillet over moderate heat for about 3 minutes.
I made these to serve as an appetizer (30 meatballs) and I found them to be a bit bland so you are right I will be experimenting with a garlic etc. They have a nice texture and went over well when I added a spicy dipping sauce. I will use this recipe again but just boost it a bit with garlic or mace. Thanks Charles