Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a cheat version of a recipe my Grandmother used to make. She spent days folding and greasing the dough so it came out layered and flaky. Since I have neither the time or patience to make that dough I found an easier method. There are two ways to fold these and I'll cover both below.
- 1 (17 ounce) package puff pastry sheets
- 1 cup grated walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Lay out puff pastry on floured board.
- Combine grated walnuts and the sugars, mix thoroughly.
- Add cream until mixture is a thin paste, spreadable but not runny.
- Form cookies.
- Method 1. spread filling on top of pastry, edge to edge in one direction but leave 1 inch uncovered on both edges in the other direction.
- Starting with an uncovered edge roll the pastry into a cylinder. Wet the uncovered edge when you reach it and seal it to the side.
- Place rolled dough in freezer for no more than 20 minutes to firm it for cutting.
- Cut dough cylinder into 1/2 inch circles and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Method 2. Cut pastry sheets into squares 2 inches by 2 inches.
- Place a 12 teaspoon of the filling into the center of the square and bring two opposite points of the square together over the top of the filling.
- Either method, bake cookies at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. .
- Allow to cool and enjoy.