Recipe by Midnite706
Delicious crescent shaped cookies. Hungarian cookies. Very Good and you can use any kind of jam or preserves as the filling.
Top Review by silver-rose
Didn't have recipe til I found this! Seeing the familiar crescent shapes again was so good-but not as good as these cookies! Will definitely make these again, maybe with poppyseed filling in some of them. Thank you so much for posting this!
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lbs ground walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend flour and butter thoroughly using a pastry blender if desired.
- Add egg yolks and yeast cake which has been dissolved in cream.
- Add sugar and vanilla.
- Chill dough if it is too soft to roll out easily.
- Divide into 2 parts and roll each into a 12-inch circle or larger. Cut into 16 or more pie-shaped pieces.
- Place a small amount of nut filling or jam on each wedge and beginning at the rounded edge, roll up.
- Place on greased baking sheet, point underneath. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Brush top of crescents with beaten egg.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes or until light brown on bottom.
- Mix all ingredients listed for filling together, mixing well.