Recipe by Um Safia
This is a traditional recipe for Yugoslavian cookies called Kifle. There are different fillings for these cookies but my favourite is the walnut! Time to make does not include chilling time........Posted for ZWT 4.
Top Review by Maine E Ack!
I love walnut anything and just knew I would be drooling over these before they were done, and I was right! They are awesome! Loaded with flavor, light and really yummy with the nuts!
- 7 g sachet active dry yeast
- 473.18 ml sifted flour
- 118.29 ml margarine
- 2 egg yolks
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- confectioners' sugar
- melted margarine, for greasing
- 236.59 ml finely chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sifted flour into large mixing bowl. Mix in yeast. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg yolks and sour cream; mix well. Form into a ball. On lightly floured board, knead until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Wrap in wax paper. Chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Combine walnuts, sugar and vanilla extract. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Set aside.
- On a board sprinkled with confectioners sugar, roll each part of dough into an 8-inch circle; cut each into 8 pie-shape wedges.
- Fill wide end of each wedge with 1 tablespoon walnut filling. Roll up from wide end to point. Place on greased baking sheet, curving ends to form crescent shape.
- Bake at 375 degrees F about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with confectioners sugar.