Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Walnut cake covered with meringues.
Make and share this Kiev Meringue Cake recipe from Food.com.
- To make the batter: In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg yolks one by one to the batter mixture.
- Stir the baking soda into the sour cream.
- As soon as it starts bubbling up pour it into the mixture.
- Gradually add the flour.
- Using a hand spatula, fold in the walnuts.
- Lay a parchment paper on the bottom of the spring form pan (10inch) and grease it well.
- Pour the half of the mixer and bake it for 30-35 minutes at 375.
- Bake the second half the same way.
- Let the cake layers to cool before assembling.
- Meringue: Make the meringue after baking the cake sheets.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed, beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and increase the speed until soft peaks form. Start adding the sugar slowly. Beat until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Place the meringue in a piping bag make various shapes of cones and swirls.
- Using the bottom of the spring form, make about 1/2 inch thick round disc, the same size as the cake.
- Bake them in a 200° oven for an hour, and then turn oven temperature down to 175 and leave them until they’re completely dry to the touch.
- Making the cream: Cream the butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the condensed milk by tablespoon first.
- After each application, mix the cream until the milk is well combined.
- Add the cocoa power to the cream.
- Assembling the cake: Put the first sheet on the serving plate.
- Spread 1/3 of the pastry cream on the top.
- Put the meringue sheet over the cream and coat with another cream application.
- Put the second cake layer and smear the cream all over and on the sides.
- Cover the cake surface with the meringue cones and swirls.
- Optional. You can dip the meringue cones into the melted chocolate and or into colored sugar.