Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from "Good Deal with David Lieberman" on the Food Network
For the kraut
- 1 head white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
For the kielbasa
- 2 quarts water
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles lager beer (recommended -- Yuengling)
- 3 (1 lb) polish-style sausage kielbasa, each cut into 4 pieces (recommended -- Hillshire Farms)
For the peppers
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded, cored, and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded, cored, and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer, over medium-low heat, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring a couple times.
- Combine water and beer in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Slip in sausages and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add pepper slices, sprinkle generously with salt, and saute until wilted and lightly colored, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve kielbasas with the kraut and peppers.