Recipe by kestrel
I don't usually like any sausage recipes. But once I created the sweet and sour flavor in this soup I knew I'd enjoy it. This soup tastes even better the next day after the ingredients have had a chance to blend.
Top Review by Rob's brewery
Overall recipe is pretty good. I had to substitute honey for the syrup, and I thought I might jazz it up by adding a little cooked bacon and I did a course cut on the cabbage then I put it in a crock pot. I was pleased with the outcome.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb kielbasa (Polish Sausage)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 -3 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on how much sweetness you'd like to peek through in the recipe)
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups broth
- 5 cups water
- 3 -4 cups potatoes (I like either new red potatoes or very small yukon golds, with the skins left on)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until tender.
- Add the water, beef stock or broth, cabbage, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, vinegar, maple syrup and Kielbasa.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, cover and continue to simmer for 20 minutes more or until the potatoes are done.