2 hrs 20 mins
I don't usually like any sausage recipes. But once I created the sweet and sour flavor in this soup I knew I'd enjoy it. This soup tastes even better the next day after the ingredients have had a chance to blend.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb kielbasa (Polish Sausage)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 -3 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on how much sweetness you'd like to peek through in the recipe)
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups broth
- 5 cups water
- 3 -4 cups potatoes (I like either new red potatoes or very small yukon golds, with the skins left on)
- 1In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
- 2Add the onion and celery and cook until tender.
- 3Add the water, beef stock or broth, cabbage, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, vinegar, maple syrup and Kielbasa.
- 4Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- 5Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Add the potatoes, cover and continue to simmer for 20 minutes more or until the potatoes are done.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kielbasa Soup (Polish)
Serving Size: 1 (3757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.1
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 1403.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 10.1 g