Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Hollyhocks and Radishes- a consistent family favorite and very easy to make.
- 3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cooked rice
- In a large, heavy saucepan, saute bacon in olive oil until lightly browned. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Saute until soft.
- Add beans, bay leaf, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and sausage. Simmer uncovered for 15-30 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar for last few minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Very good. My Dh was, for some unknown reason, prepared to not like it but ended up being dissapointed there were no leftovers for lunch. I only added 1 can of beans and thought it needed a little extra salt and pepper once the rice was added to each plate. I will make this again.
Enjoyed this recipe. Couple small changes was I used pork (vs turkey) kielbasa & increased portion 3-4 oz. I reduced the kidney beans about 1/2 can & I found it a perfect balance for us. It didn't say what kind of vinegar so I used white wine vinegar. Great flavours, thanks for sharing.
I used S&W Red Beans Louisiana Style. This was such a tasty and EASY recipe that was flavorful without being spicy. My whole family gave this 5 stars!