Recipe by LeahMarie
Found this recipe in a Woman's Day Magazine also. Can't wait to try it.
Top Review by sugar momma
I was decent enough I would give it 4 stars but the hubby didn't care for it much. going with 3 stars because the apples should definatly be at least partially cooked before hand as other reviewers had done.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) package kielbasa, fully cooked, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 fuji apples, cored, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a 10-cup baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook rigatoni until al dente, firm but tender, following package instructions. Drain.
- In large heavy-bottom saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to boil, stirring continuously; boil until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Set aside 1 cup of cheese for topping casserole.
- Whisk remaining 2 cups cheese, hot-pepper sauce, and salt into mixture.
- In pasta pot, combine rigatoni, cheese sauce, kielbasa and apples into baking dish.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and stir.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup remaining cheese and scallions.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.