Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this recipe in a Woman's Day Magazine also. Can't wait to try it.
Make and share this Kielbasa, Pasta and Cheddar Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) package kielbasa, fully cooked, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 fuji apples, cored, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a 10-cup baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook rigatoni until al dente, firm but tender, following package instructions. Drain.
- In large heavy-bottom saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to boil, stirring continuously; boil until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Set aside 1 cup of cheese for topping casserole.
- Whisk remaining 2 cups cheese, hot-pepper sauce, and salt into mixture.
- In pasta pot, combine rigatoni, cheese sauce, kielbasa and apples into baking dish.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and stir.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup remaining cheese and scallions.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
I was decent enough I would give it 4 stars but the hubby didn't care for it much. going with 3 stars because the apples should definatly be at least partially cooked before hand as other reviewers had done.
Enjoyed this. We served broccoli on the side and decided it went so well with this dish, we'll put the broccoli in the casserole the next time we make it. Thanks for posting.
This is such a nice twist on the classic macaroni and cheese. I used penne pasta since that is what I had in the cupboard and I also had braeburn apples to use up and they surprisingly went very nicely with this. I was concerned that the apples would not cook thoroughly in the oven alone so I decided to add with the onions and saute in the pan. This worked beautifully. Thank you for a great dinner!